General Manager (Maternity cover: 12 Months fixed term contract)
Responsible to: Chairman, General Director and Director Curator
Jerwood Limited is seeking a committed and experienced individual with proved relevant skills to join its small team in London and undertake the key role of General Manager (maternity cover).
The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting the senior personnel (communicating effectively with the Jerwood Family and other partners) and delivering the efficient operation of Jerwood Limited (JL) and our office in St Stephen’s Mews, W2 5QZ.
Jerwood Limited provides, develops and undertakes advisory and consultancy services to the organisations within the Jerwood Group and to third parties; develops and protects Jerwood intellectual property and undertakes activities and initiatives in the arts and related fields.
There are four organisations within the Jerwood Group: Jerwood Foundation (JF), Jerwood Charitable Foundation (JCF), Jerwood Space (JS) and Jerwood Gallery (JG). All four organisations have a dedicated and shared vision to support, nurture and reward excellence in the visual and performing arts.
Jerwood Foundation was established in 1977 by its Chairman, Alan Grieve, for John Jerwood, an international businessman and philanthropist. Since John Jerwood’s death in 1991, Alan has created and shaped the Jerwood vision of supporting artistic excellence and establishing the Jerwood name as a major contributor to the vibrancy and creativity of the arts in the UK.
Since 1998, the Foundation has made 18 strategic capital grants throughout the UK, the most recent of which is Jerwood Gallery in Hastings, which opened in 2012 and is the home of the Jerwood Collection of Modern & Contemporary British art, which is curated from the London Office.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
• Deliver the smooth operation and administration of Jerwood Limited’s offices
• Be responsible for IT systems and support for the office and its remote users (supported by Computer Angels)
• Act as first point of contact for all enquiries
• Manage the diary of the Chairman and be familiar with the diaries of the General Director and Director Curator
• Undertake limited PA work for the Chairman of JF, as required
• Administer tickets for Jerwood at Glyndebourne and the JF box at the Royal Albert Hall
• Manage suppliers, services and maintenance at St Stephen’s Mews
• Manage archive and storage areas in the office building
• Implement our environmental and Health and Safety policies
• Maintain the database and generate reports, as required
• Develop JL’s annual budget with the General Director
• Manage cashflow; administer JL payments and authorisations with the General Director
• Communicate with the accountants (inc. coding invoices) to generate monthly Management Accounts
• Review, improve and manage our financial procedures
• Manage petty cash and monthly expense payments
• Project manage the Jerwood Annual Reports from conception to production and mailout, liaise with the designers, copyright holders and the Jerwood Group to deliver this pivotal document on time and within budget
• Manage, develop and produce content for the JF website and assist the Director Curator in the management, development and content of Jerwood Collection website
• Maintain excellent relationships with Jerwood Charitable Foundation, Jerwood Space and Jerwood Gallery as well as all partner organisations and suppliers
• Produce the monthly Jerwood newsletter in consultation with the Jerwood Group
• Work with the General Director and the Director Curator to position and promote Jerwood and the Jerwood Collection on social media
• Develop a sound knowledge of Jerwood’s past and present initiatives and the Jerwood Collection and its artists
• Represent Jerwood and network at external events (eg private views)
• Other duties as may be reasonably required
Essential skills and experience
• A demonstrable passion for and interest in the arts
• At least 3 years experience of project and/or company management
• Experience of financial planning including cashflow management and budgeting
• Excellent IT and numerical skills, including use of standard office software, databases
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills; a pride in customer service; the ability to represent Jerwood to the highest standard
• Experience maintaining websites
• Experience in the design, production and print of publications
• An ability to work directly and build high quality relationships with a range of stakeholders
• The ability to plan and prioritise own workload, to thrive calmly under pressure and to effectively problem solve
• High standards of personal organisation; an understanding of the importance of attention to detail and complete confidentiality, when appropriate
• An independent approach – and a good sense of humour
• An ability to work closely with a small team
• A flexible approach, a willingness to ‘pitch in’ with a ‘can do’ attitude
• 35 hours per week, excluding an hour for lunch. Core office hours are 9am – 5pm (Monday – Friday) based at the JL Office. Some evening and weekend work will occasionally be required in the form of attending events within the arts world.
• 25 days per annum + bank holidays
• £28,000- £35,000 per annum, dependent on experience
How to apply
Please write to Philippa Hogan-Hern (General Director) firstname.lastname@example.org attaching your CV and a covering letter (no more than 2 sides of A4), setting out what makes you apply, be interested and right for the role.
Closing date for applications: Friday 12 May 2017. Start date 17th July.
Jerwood Limited is committed to equal opportunity and diversity and we welcome applications from all sections of the community.