Architects: John McAslan & Partners with Purcell Miller Tritton
Opened in September 2001
The Jerwood Foundation made a grant of £1.2 million towards Trinity College of Music's library at its new site at the Old Royal Naval College in Greenwich. The Jerwood Library of the Performing Arts occupies the second floor of King Charles Court, part of the palace originally built by Wren for Charles II, and its exposed beams date from 1660. It opened to users in September 2001 and there was an official opening ceremony in January 2002.
The Jerwood Library of the Performing Arts houses a loan collection of over 90,000 books, scores and recordings. It provides over 100 reader places where users may listen to recordings, use the computers for music processing and aural training, and access online bibliographical databases. As well as the College's own Sir Frederick Bridge Library of Music, the Library includes the important Mander & Mitchenson Theatre Collection and other music and performing arts archives. It is also one of only 3 listening centres for Music Preserved, a vast collection of live performance recordings from the 1930s to the present day. In addition it incorporates the Centre for Young Musicians Library (temporarily located offsite), a comprehensive collection of sets of vocal scores and orchestral parts which are available for hire to schools, amateur choirs and orchestras. The Library continues to expand and is an unrivalled source for music students, researchers and academics.
Trinity College of Music
Trinity College of Music was founded as the Church Choral Society in 1872 by The Rev. Henry George Bonavia Hunt to improve the teaching of church music and in 1876 it was incorporated as Trinity College London. Having been based for over a hundred years in Mandeville Place off Wigmore Street in central London, the College moved to the King Charles Court of the Old Royal Naval College in Greenwich in 2001. It aims to cross connect the higher level of performance training for musicians with potential in other performing art forms. In 2005 it merged with the Laban Centre for Dance to form Trinity Laban, the UK's first music and dance conservatory.
Jerwood Library of the Performing Arts, Trinity College of Music © Architects: John McAslan & Partners with Purcell Miller Tritton