Architects: Freeland Rees Roberts
Opened in May 1999
The Jerwood Foundation made a grant of £1.4 million towards Trinity Hall's new library for its 30,000 books, a long overdue facility for the Cambridge college. The Jerwood Library was designed by Freeland Rees Roberts and was opened in May 1999 by the Rt. Hon. The Lord Howe of Aberavon CH QC, an alumnus of Trinity Hall. Awards include a Civic Trust Award and a David Urwin Award for Conservation.
The Jerwood Library provides, over four floors, 110 reading spaces, 10 modernised student rooms, a seminar room and a computer room. The bold design has taken sensitive account of the building's environment, in particular its position directly on the River Cam facing the Backs, the adjoining 1909 building and the adjacent bridge over the river. The structure is steel framed with a great deal of glazing to take advantage of the exceptional views.
Trinity Hall was founded by Bishop Bateman of Norwich in 1350, making it the fifth oldest surviving college of the University of Cambridge. The original college library was built in the late sixteenth century and is now principally used for the storage of manuscripts and rare books.
Jerwood Library, Trinity Hall © Architects: Freeland Rees Roberts