Architect: Peter Brades
Opened in September 2001
The Jerwood Foundation made a grant of £100,000 towards the redevelopment of Byam Shaw School of Art's sculpture studio, and a further £10,000 for advanced equipment for the new facility. The Jerwood Sculpture Studio, which was designed by Peter Brades, was opened on 25 September 2001.
The development consists of two new buildings adjacent to the existing school, providing a complex of studio and workshop units. Students now have the opportunity to work with a broad range of processes including: modelling and casting in clay and plaster; metal bending and rolling; and welding in copper, brass and aluminium. There are also facilities for spraying and sand-blasting and the complete range of air-tooling. Students can work inside the workshops and use the exterior studio.
Byam Shaw School of Art
The Byam Shaw School of Art was founded by the artists John Byam Shaw and Rex Vicat Cole in 1910 as a school of drawing and painting. It retains its focus on the study of Fine Art and compared with other education institutions is small, allowing staff to give extra attention to individual directions and quests. In 2003 Byam Shaw joined Central Saint Martins College of Art and Design, which has now become part of the University of the Arts London, Europe's largest centre for education in art, communication, design and performance.
Jerwood Sculpture Studio, Byam Shaw School of Art © Architext: Peter Brades