Architects: Robert Warren Architects
Opened in September 1999
The Jerwood Foundation made a grant of £900,000 towards the restoration and modernisation of The Natural History Museum's magnificent Gallery 26. Originally The Shell Gallery, it had been bomb damaged in the Second World War and covered with cladding when it reopened in the 1950s. Following restoration by Robert Warren Architects the renamed Jerwood Gallery was opened in September 1999 by Lord Palumbo.
The Jerwood Gallery, with its Waterhouse terracotta work, triple arched entrance and stained glass windows at front and rear, provides an impressive exhibition venue for the Museum's arts/science exhibition programme. This incorporates both contemporary visual art and the Museum's own historical natural history art collection. It is also the venue for prestigious sponsored exhibitions such as the annual Wildlife Photographer of the Year exhibition.
The Natural History Museum
Originating from collections within the British Museum, The Natural History Museum opened in South Kensington in 1881 on the site of the 1862 International Exhibition. Alfred Waterhouse's landmark building in the German Romanesque style is home to around 70 million life and earth specimens in five main collections: Botany, Entomology, Mineralogy, Palaeontology and Zoology.
Jerwood Gallery © Natural History Museum