Dedicated in March 2007
The Jerwood Foundation supported the creation of four new stained glass windows for the newly restored Audley Chapel in Hereford Cathedral, and the windows were dedicated at a service on 25 March 2007.
The windows were designed and created by international stained glass artist Tom Denny to celebrate the life and work of one of Hereford's greatest loved literary figures, Thomas Traherne (c. 1636-1674), who is celebrated in the Church of England calendar as a Poet and Spiritual Writer. Hereford Cathedral Library contains most of the printed first editions of his writings and passages from 'Centuries' and other works have been gathered into each of the four lights.
The current Hereford Cathedral dates from 1079, although the building work extended ove a period of four and a half centuries. It is dedicated to two patron Saints, Saint Mary the Virgin and Saint Ethelbert the King (who was beheaded by Offa, King of Mercia in 792). The Cathedral's most famous treasure is the Mappa Mundi a medieval map of the world dating from the thirteenth century.
The Jerwood Foundation has loaned its painting Crucifixion, 1994 by Craigie Aitchison to the Cathedral where it hangs in the crossing.