Architects: Project Orange
Opened in April 2009
The Jerwood Foundation made a grant of £950,000 to Oakham School in Rutland for its new art and design school. The Jerwood School of Design, which was designed by Project Orange, was opened by Alan Grieve on 25 April 2009. At the same time Pod, a sculpture commissioned by the Foundation from Benedict Carpenter for the site, was unveiled.
The Jerwood School of Design provides facilities for Oakham's designers and technologists, many of whom have won national awards in recent years. The two-storey building includes two multimedia workshops and two high tech studios with specialist facilities for CAD/CAM and electronics. The brief given to Project Orange stipulated that Oakham required a building sensitive to its surroundings, environmentally sustainable and reflective of the School's commitment to the highest standards of design.
Oakham School was founded in 1584 by Archdeacon Robert Johnson. The association between Oakham and the Jerwood Foundation began during John Jerwood's life as the Jerwood family had close links with the School.
Alan Grieve, Chairman of the Jerwood Foundation opens the Jerwood School of Design at Oakham © Architects: Project Orange