Architects: Carden & Godfrey Architects
Opened in March 2002
The Jerwood Foundation made a grant of £2 million towards the Royal College of Physicians' new educational facilities in Peto Place, behind the College precinct in St Andrews Place, Regent's Park. This grant was the largest single donation made to the College. The Jerwood Medical Education Centre was designed by Carden & Godfrey Architects to blend in with the surrounding Georgian and neo-Georgian buildings and was opened on 20 March 2002 by HRH The Prince of Wales.
The Centre houses the RCP Education Department, whose aim is to develop educational policy and initiatives to improve the level of education and training of physicians. The Centre provides flexible teaching spaces for courses and workshops and has facilities for the RCP's new distance learning and web-based education and training packages. It also houses the central planning facility for an increasing number of activities in the Regions.
Royal College of Physicians
Founded in 1518 by Henry VIII, the Royal College of Physicians aims to ensure high quality care for patients by promoting the highest standards of medical practice. It provides and sets standards in clinical practice and education training, conducts assessments and examinations, quality assures external audit programmes, supports doctors in their practice of medicine, and advises the government, public and the profession on health care issues. In 1964 it moved to its fifth and current home, created by Sir Denis Lasdun. It has over 22,000 Fellows and Members worldwide.
Alan Grieve, Chairman of the Jerwood Foundation, was appointed a Trustee of the Royal College of Physicians in December 2007.
Jerwood Medical Education Centre, Royal College of Physicians © Architects: Carden & Godfrey Architects